Sunday, April 22, 2007

2.16 The Whole Truth




[We see Ana and Gale in the armory.]
GALE: Were you on the plane, too?
ANA: I was in the tail section. We crashed on the other side of the island.
GALE: You walked across all the way here? That must have been fun.
ANA: It had its moments. So, are you going to tell me your story, Henry?
GALE: Why bother, I've already told it to everyone -- Jack, Locke, the big black guy that cut off his beard in front of me. Oh, yeah, and my buddy, Sayid. You can see how much he liked my story.
ANA: So how about you try me.
GALE: I don't mean to be ungrateful, but why are you going to help me get out of here?
ANA: On the other side of the island there was this guy with us. I was 100 percent convinced that he wasn't on the plane. So I dug a whole and I threw him in it.
GALE: And what happened?
ANA: I was wrong. And now he's dead. But good news for you Henry -- I don't make the same mistake twice. So how about you tell me your story?
[In the armory.]
ANA: So let me get this straight -- you and your wife travel around the world and crash here in a smiley-face balloon? Then she dies. You get captured by a French chick who brings you here, and then they lock you up.
GALE: It sounds kind of silly when you say it like that.
ANA: Why don't you have a beard?
GALE: Because I shaved -- because I needed something normal.
ANA: Okay, so why don't you draw me a map to your balloon? We'll go out there, we'll find it, and everybody will believe you.
GALE: That's what they all keep asking me to do -- draw a map. And if I mess up they'll crucify me.
ANA: You flew around the world in a balloon and you don't think you can draw up a good map?
GALE: Air travel -- it's a different animal. It's about wind currents and...
ANA: Do you or do you not know where it is?
GALE: Yeah, I know where it is. I went back there to bury my wife.
ANA: Why'd you do that?
GALE: Because our balloon was the closest thing we had to home. You people have been looking for someone to punish for everything that's happened to you -- someone to blame -- and now you've got him. It doesn't matter what I do, I'm dead already.
ANA: You draw up that map, Henry. I'll find your balloon. But if you don't, things are going to play out just like you said
[We see Gales reading in the armory. Jack enters.]
JACK: How is it?
GALE [reading from the book]: Men reject their prophets and slay them, but they love their martyrs and honor those whom they have slain. [to Jack] So what's the difference between a martyr and a prophet?
JACK: Either way, it sounds like you end up dead.
GALE: That's the spirit.
JACK: In the mood for some breakfast?
[We see Locke getting bowls and cereal. Jack leads Gale out of the armory. Locke looks surprised. Gale sees the computer room.]
GALE: What's the computer for?
JACK: Nothing.
GALE: Cereal? Wow, where'd you guys get cereal?
LOCKE: It was down here all along. The pantry's full of food.
GALE: How old is it? [Jack and Locke don't respond] You guys don't know much, huh? I mean, I'd be asking all kinds of questions about all this stuff down here. You guys don't even seem that curious.
JACK: Do you want the cereal or don't you?
GALE: This must be my reward for good behavior, huh? I guess I earned myself some good will for finally drawing that map for Ana.
LOCKE: What map?
GALE: To my balloon.
JACK [to Locke]: Did you...
LOCKE: No.
GALE: Wow, you guys have some real trust issues, don't you? Guess it makes sense she didn't tell you. I mean, with the two of you fighting all the time. Of course, if I was one of them -- these people that you seem to think are your enemies -- what would I do? Well, there'd be no balloon, so I'd draw a map to a real secluded place like a cave or some underbrush -- good place for a trap -- an ambush. And when your friends got there a bunch of my people would be waiting for them. Then they'd use them to trade for me. I guess it's a good thing I'm not one of them, huh? You guys got any milk?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.