Sunday, April 22, 2007

2.18 Dave




[Armory. Henry’s bound, arms wide, as if he’s hanging on a crucifixion cross.]

Henry: He was dead already. Four months ago, I was part of the search party. Henry Gale was hanging out of the basket, neck broken.

Sayid: So he was already dead.

Henry: Yes.

Sayid: So then you buried him and left the grave marked.

Henry: Yes.

Sayid: You really should have checked his wallet before you did that. [Pulls out $20 bill] I assume Henry Gale did not have any paper upon which to compose his thoughts so he had to improvise. There wasn’t much space for that. [Sayid begins to read from the bill] Jennifer, well, you were right. Crossing the Pacific isn’t easy. I owe you a beer. I’m hiking to one of the beaches to start a signal fire. But if you’re reading this I guess I didn’t make it. I’m sorry. I love you Jenny. Always have. Always will. Yours, Henry.

Sayid: So tell me, how did Henry Gale write a note to his wife with a broken neck?

Henry: Wasn’t me. I didn’t kill him. You don’t understand.

Sayid: How did you know his wife’s name? Did you interrogate him?

Henry: Please, just listen. I’m just a---

Sayid: How many of you are there?

Henry: If I told you about them you have no idea what he’ll do.

Sayid: He?

Ana Lucia: You mean their leader, the guy with the beard?

Henry: Him!? He’s no one! Nothing!

Sayid: Whare are your people?

Henry: I can’t tell---

Sayid: How many of you are there?!

Henry: You don’t understand!

Sayid: Understand this. [Pulls out gun] You have three seconds to answer my question. How many of you are there? One!

Henry: He’ll kill me!

Sayid: I’ll kill you. Two!

Ana Lucia: Sayid!

Henry: I am not a bad person!

Sayid: Three. [Gun goes off but AL diverts Sayid’s arm]

Ana Lucia: What the hell’s wrong with you?

Sayid: He’s a liar! [he leaves]

Henry [ to AL] Thank you.

Ana Lucia : Shut up.

[Later, Locke enters armory]
Locke: What's your name? Your real name?

Henry: Just keep calling me Henry. I’ve gotten used to it.

Locke: Did you get caught on purpose? You and your people have been here for god knows how long and you got caught in a net?

Henry: God doesn't know.

Locke: Excuse me?

Henry: god doesn't know how long we've been here, John. He can't see this island any better than the rest of the world can. May I ask you a question? What possible reason could I have for putting myself through all this?

Locke: Maybe your people were looking for this place.

Henry: This place? This place is a joke, John.

Locke: What are you talking about?

Henry: I crawled through your vents and I stood at your computer as the alarm beeped, and you know what happened? The timer went all the way down to zero, and then some funny red pictures flipped up in its place. They looked like heiroglyphics; I'm no expert. And then things got real interesting. There was a loud clunking and a hum, like a magnet, a big magnet, it was really very frightening. And you know what happened next? Nothing happened, John. Nothing happened at all. Your timer just flipped back to 108. I never entered the numbers. I never pressed the button.

Locke: You're lying.

Henry: No. I'm done lying.

No comments: